Share | 

Ten things to know about the Eshira storyline

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jackxter

Character sheet
Name: Judith Both
Race: Human

PostSubject: Ten things to know about the Eshira storyline   Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:50 am

Since I don't have time to create any more large lore pages at the moment, here are ten important things to know about Eshira roleplay.

1. There is a gravitational anomaly at the center of the circle that is two planets orbital paths. This anomaly doesn't appear to be a Black Hole of any sort. It is usually harmless to any ships in normal space unless they draw too close, it is however capable of affecting ships in hyperspace at a distance of over 500,000 km. The effect is strong enough to tear any ship apart in hyperspace, shields or not, if it were to enter the radius of it's effect zone. Furthermore, it can cause less destructive disruptions to hyperspace travel even further out, such as slower travel then usual and unexpected exits from hyperspace. Thus, any ship wishing to approach Eshira must do so at sub-light speeds. It is still unsafe for ships to stay in orbit around Eshira or Kudo for long periods of times as the anomaly tends to send out periodic 'ripples' through the fabric of space that can disrupt on-board systems.

2. Eshira and Kudo were transformed by an alien race over four billion years ago for purposes I'll discuss later.

3. The roleplay will most likely be played on rp_wuste. It will center around two very important resources found in the area as well as a hunt for alien technology. If anyone else has any other suggestions for maps please feel free to contribute. My one request is that they have wide open areas and a few centralized locations.

4. Eshira and Kudo are not desert planets. They are what you call Super Earths, about 1.3 times the size of it. They feature tropical, temperature, desert and arctic geographic zones just like Earth.

5. There are plenty of native species on the planet, some sentient, some not.

6. Eshira and Kudo are binary planets, thus they orbit each other. The distance between them is slightly larger then that of Earth and the moon.

7. The current year is 2772.

8. All humanoid life in the galaxy was seeded by an ancient race for a reason I'll reveal when I have time to type of a huge backstory.

9. Humanity doesn't have a space fleet of any sort. They are limited to sub-light travel. They have not been able to make contact with Earth since arriving at Eshira after a 94 year journey.

10. FTL (Faster then light) travel is a very difficult task to achieve. Only races of significant technological advancement have been able to accomplish it.

Last edited by Jackxter on Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:33 pm; edited 15 times in total
Back to top Go down
GordonGuy

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Ten things to know about the Eshira storyline   Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:57 am

I can't find this, what's the current year.
Back to top Go down
Jackxter

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Ten things to know about the Eshira storyline   Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:59 am

Edit.
Back to top Go down
BloodStream

PostSubject: Re: Ten things to know about the Eshira storyline   Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:30 pm

Jackxter wrote:
1. There is a gravitational anomaly at the center of the circle that is two planets orbital paths. This anomaly doesn't appear to be a Black Hole of any sort. It is usually harmless to any ships in normal space unless they draw too close, it is however capable of affecting ships in hyperspace at a distance of over 500,000 km. The effect is strong enough to tear any ship apart in hyperspace, shields or not, if it were to enter the radius of it's effect zone. Furthermore, it can cause less destructive disruptions to hyperspace travel even further out, such as slower travel then usual and unexpected exits from hyperspace. Thus, any ship wishing to approach Eshira must do so at sub-light speeds.
Just incase this confused anyone, lemme add to it.
Kudo and Eshira orbit each other in perfect synchronisation; as in they are currently in what would be considered perpetual motion (Assuming a few variables negligible).
Since each planet has it's own gravitational field (And since gravity isn't affected by gravity), their gravitational pull on each other is dissipated by their outwards acceleration away from each other, which, in turn, is dissipated by their gravitational pull on each other. Basically, they're in an equilibrious orbit around each other.
Now, the technical part. The fact that planets move so goddamn quickly and the fact that these two planets are accelerating and then decelerating instantaneously, this would cause a (in theory) a slight 'bend' of the "fabric of space" (I fucking hate that term but I'm not sure how else to explain it simply.). This would cause an anomalous spike of intense gravity in the exact centre of the point of orbit, to equate the rest of the 'bend' in the "fabric of space".
In effect, space as a mesh model would look like half a sphere with a spike going in the opposite direction to the half-sphere. The spike would have exactly the same volume as the half sphere, and so would, in a 2-dimensional model view, be a flat surface.
As you know, space and time are connected. If one would to come close to this anomaly, due to it having such a relatively small scale, a lot of your ship's atoms would be affected by the intense spike, and the other half wouldn't.
One of two things would happen here. Your entire ship would be sucked into the spacial spike, or the parts of the ship affected by the spike would be torn asunder and sucked in.
Disclaimer: This is all theoretical bullshit that my lecturer has spouted at me sometime over the past year, and I've used a lot of wrong phrases to get around explaining difficult concepts.

I'm aware this might be boring and irrelevant to a lot of you but I thought it'd try to explain it to any of you that are actually interested in this stuff. I know I am.
Back to top Go down
Jackxter

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Ten things to know about the Eshira storyline   Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:21 pm

Blood, I feel like my head is about to explode after reading that Razz.
Back to top Go down
v4ltt3ri

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Ten things to know about the Eshira storyline   Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:14 am

-snip-

Delete this post.

Last edited by v4ltt3ri on Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
v4ltt3ri

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Ten things to know about the Eshira storyline   Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:14 am

BloodStream wrote:
Jackxter wrote:
1. There is a gravitational anomaly at the center of the circle that is two planets orbital paths. This anomaly doesn't appear to be a Black Hole of any sort. It is usually harmless to any ships in normal space unless they draw too close, it is however capable of affecting ships in hyperspace at a distance of over 500,000 km. The effect is strong enough to tear any ship apart in hyperspace, shields or not, if it were to enter the radius of it's effect zone. Furthermore, it can cause less destructive disruptions to hyperspace travel even further out, such as slower travel then usual and unexpected exits from hyperspace. Thus, any ship wishing to approach Eshira must do so at sub-light speeds.
Kudo and Eshira orbit each other in perfect synchronisation; as in they are currently in what would be considered perpetual motion (Assuming a few variables negligible).
Since each planet has it's own gravitational field (And since gravity isn't affected by gravity), their gravitational pull on each other is dissipated by their outwards acceleration away from each other, which, in turn, is dissipated by their gravitational pull on each other. Basically, they're in an equilibrious orbit around each other.
Now, the technical part. The fact that planets move so goddamn quickly and the fact that these two planets are accelerating and then decelerating instantaneously, this would cause a (in theory) a slight 'bend' of the "fabric of space" (I fucking hate that term but I'm not sure how else to explain it simply.). This would cause an anomalous spike of intense gravity in the exact centre of the point of orbit, to equate the rest of the 'bend' in the "fabric of space".
In effect, space as a mesh model would look like half a sphere with a spike going in the opposite direction to the half-sphere. The spike would have exactly the same volume as the half sphere, and so would, in a 2-dimensional model view, be a flat surface.
As you know, space and time are connected. If one would to come close to this anomaly, due to it having such a relatively small scale, a lot of your ship's atoms would be affected by the intense spike, and the other half wouldn't.
One of two things would happen here. Your entire ship would be sucked into the spacial spike, or the parts of the ship affected by the spike would be torn asunder and sucked in.
Disclaimer: This is all theoretical bullshit that my lecturer has spouted at me sometime over the past year, and I've used a lot of wrong phrases to get around explaining difficult concepts.

I'm aware this might be boring and irrelevant to a lot of you but I thought it'd try to explain it to any of you that are actually interested in this stuff. I know I am.

Sounds pretty cool to me
Back to top Go down
Mr.Magoo

Character sheet
Name: Ishaaar Naiwee
Race: Mindflayer

PostSubject: Re: Ten things to know about the Eshira storyline   Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:07 pm

BloodStream wrote:
Jackxter wrote:

So... you can't fly a ship between the planets because they've torn a hole in space time?? This confuses me.
Back to top Go down
Jackxter

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Ten things to know about the Eshira storyline   Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:43 pm

Na, the anomaly only has a great affect to shit in hyperspace. You would have to fly pretty close to the object in normal space in order to notice any effects.
Back to top Go down
BloodStream

PostSubject: Re: Ten things to know about the Eshira storyline   Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:10 am

Jackxter wrote:
Na, the anomaly only has a great affect to shit in hyperspace. You would have to fly pretty close to the object in normal space in order to notice any effects.
Like, the so-close-you're-inside-it kind of close.
Back to top Go down
Jackxter

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Ten things to know about the Eshira storyline   Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:28 pm

Na, maybe within one hundred miles of it. It is capable of sending out 'ripples' in the fabric of real space time which can fuck up the navigational systems of ships a further distance out. This rare event only happens once and a while.
Back to top Go down
Jackxter

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Ten things to know about the Eshira storyline   Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:35 pm

BuMp
Back to top Go down
BloodStream

PostSubject: Re: Ten things to know about the Eshira storyline   Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:55 pm

Jackxter wrote:
Na, maybe within one hundred miles of it. It is capable of sending out 'ripples' in the fabric of real space time which can fuck up the navigational systems of ships a further distance out. This rare event only happens once and a while.

Well, the way I imagined it was that it had it's own gravity well, and at the centre of that gravity well, was the singularity.
You'd actually have to be inside it to be affected by it, but it having it's own gravity well would cause you to be drawn in.
Also, that'd explain why being in hyperspace around it is so dangerous.
Travelling so quickly means you're using more energy
At speeds close to the speed of light, energy becomes mass
Your ship is more massy, so gravitational pulls affect you more
Since you're likely to be going faster than the speed of light, your mass will be immense, and so you'd be more susceptible to the singularity.
Back to top Go down
Jackxter

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Ten things to know about the Eshira storyline   Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:28 pm

Updated information on the anomaly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ten things to know about the Eshira storyline   

Back to top Go down

Ten things to know about the Eshira storyline
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1