Welcome!

HomeGalleryRegisterLog in

Share | 

Thoughts and Feelings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Achosi

PostSubject: Thoughts and Feelings   Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:01 am

Read The Comments First (atleast the first one).

I feel like sharing my feelings on some of the things going on in Olden right now. You may agree, you may not. Feel free to post your opinion down below. I demand one thing. If comments (if there are any) devolve in to a shit storm below, delete this thread. That's not what this post is about. In fact, that's one of the concerns I intend to bring up. So please don't turn this into a thread for personal grudges and attacks on another person, followed by an understandably angry defense. Instead let this be about shared concerns.

I'll get to it now.

-----------

One branch of a larger tree I'd like to talk about, is special characters. I like our special characters. I like clashing with Vorn. I like the promised death of Mirage. I like how Catherine (the vampire) comes into the tavern to call attention to herself. I like the ominous presence of Reaver, and all the things his existence hints at.

But I see too much of them. To me, their power isn't an issue. Of course they're powerful. They're all over two hundred years old. I'd be disappointed if trying to beat even one of them wasn't long odds, if not impossible. But when I run into one, more often two everytime I walk into the tavern, it loses it's effect.

Vorn is somewhat the exception to this. His character I expect to see around town, because that's his natural habitat so to speak. I don't like that atleast one person a day is trying to kill him (even though he deserves it). I know without asking the reason, that there's a good one behind why Mirage and and Persephone haunt the tavern.

I just feel that when I bump into Catherine (the vampire) on the streets, I should be ICly interested, and OOCly crapping my pants. When Mirage steps into anywhere really, I should ICly feel perturbed beyond words, and OOCly crapping my pants. It's my fault that I don't react ICly the way I feel I should, but I can't help but think, "If running into one of the incredibly deadly characters was a rare occurrence, I might actually be scared."

The gist of it is, I feel that I should see less of the incredibly powerful, and incredibly awesome characters in day to day life.

-----------

The second topic I'd like to bring up, dips both into characters, and into the use of magic In-Character. It's too strong. And it's too common. I think the lore is a little murky (isn't it all?) on just how common or uncommon magic is in Talibar (now Sanctimonia). From my understanding, Talibar ceased being the nexus of magical power when The Prophet was killed, and magic became incredibly less common as a result.

I understand (and have used) the, excuse that, "Well my magic user character comes from outside of Sanctimonia, so he would have his magical potency." It seems like the lack of magical energy within the area affected (however large an area that is) should have more of an effect on magic in general. Shouldn't average mages, only able to hurl fireballs or ice bolts, find the task that much more difficult? It seems like characters can fling magic as long as they choose (a not unheard of phenomenon that applies to many things). Shouldn't magic for a young user be a difficult and tiring task?

This brings me too how common it is. It seems that every character has some level of magical skill, or acquaintance with magic, even though it's supposed to be something more rare in this part of Aeria. Why then is it common place to bump into a mage whenever I got to buy a drink? Yes, Surna is a large and frequently visited town, and many different people travel to Surna for varying reason. But why? It hardly seems like it would be the place for any that are magically inclined to visit. There should be a damn good reason they decide to wonder into town, instead of going to some other country where magic is more common, more understood, and easier to perform.

Summary. There seems to be too many mages, able to hurl far to much fire power for any normal (mage wise) people. There needs to be (if there isn't something I've just missed) elaboration on the subject of magic in general. Specifically in Sanctimonia.

-----------

Moving along, I run into something that is frequently brought up. Dungeons and Dragons. Either way is fine with me. What I do mind, is that other people (by which I mean the majority) do. Because it is inevitable anyway, I'll bring it up first. Kain, and by extension, Alec Smith. It seems like everyone has one issue for another with the way Kain manages battles (hunts in particular), or the abilities Alec Smith possesses.

Mostly I hear of a general frustration when someone participates in a hunt. Yes, it is their decision to participate. But the overarching feeling left is that of an invasion. Oldenites (or whatever we call ourselves) feel that the generally preferred method of battle, and RP in general, is in jeopardy because of the use of DnD rules in any part of the roleplay. The boundaries need to be more defined in this area. I don't see the dice rolls as a detriment or an improvement. They're just a different way of doing things. One that can and (by general opinion) should be limited to circumstances where all participants are in agreement. I feel Kain has done this very successfully, but the tensions still remain and need to be brought to light.

Another, more personal grievance that has been brought up, is the power of all those who do abide by these rules at one time or another. I admit to being somewhat skeptical of the progress in strength and experience made by all of the Monster Hunters. By DnD standards, their increased abilities make perfect sense, considering the danger they face in every hunt. But to many looking on they see it as abuse of authority on Kain's part, and greedy grabbing for power by the lot of us. Like the system itself the difference between how powerful our separate selves, both DnD and standard RP version, needs to be brought fully to light. All this teenage angst needs somewhere else to go other than the RP, which everyone should be enjoying.

Yet another summary. Fears, anxiety, and anger towards the use of DnD rules and character progression under the system need to be dispelled. The differences between the two should be clearly defined, going so far as to say, "Sure, you're able to do this when operating under the DnD rule set, but when it comes to standard RP you go back to normal"

-----------

One final, less substantial topic. There should be more to do in town. Tavern RP has it's place, but I think it would benefit everyone if their choices weren't limited to events, and tavern RP. It's something that can be worked on by everyone.

-----------

I'm rather new to this community, and online communities in general. In the past I've kept it down to 3-6 people who I would play with on a regular basis. I understand that in any community, online or off, there are disagreements. Tempers flare, and words are exchanged. There will never be an absence of drama. But this has gone on long enough. I've talked to too many, mostly in steam chat, who feel somewhat put off by the conflicting ideas of the community. Some express boredom, other pure anger. This shouldn't be the way. Forgive me for being an idealist, but I think if people come out and suggest ideas without singling out particular "offenses" the RP can be more enjoyable for everyone.

Other than glancing over this post, searching for spelling/grammar mistakes, I tried not to read into it too much. I was afraid that I would say, "Oh that doesn't seem right." Then busying myself with making everything look refined. That's not what I want. I want everything you read, if you take the time, to be what I was thinking at the time I wrote it.

That's it, for now. Discuss, but remember. Keep it civil. Don't attack one another. Be helpful and constructive. Overall, be creative. That's why most of us RP, if I'm not mistaken. Like Mu, tell it how it is.

Last edited by Achosi on Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Achosi

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and Feelings   Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:24 am

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

My misunderstanding. I had the wrong idea, and so my argument against the casual magic user is incorrect and baseless. While I still feel magic is to common, and too powerful, I have to withdraw my statements above.

On the subject of, "Crapping my pants when I run into them." Referring to the numerous super baddies patrolling our streets. I would like to clarify that my OOC and my IC reaction are just that. Two different reactions.

My first two statements defeated. Who will be next to cleave my ideas in twain.

I will not edit the post as of yet (other than to direct you to the comments first). Yes, this was poorly thought out. Yes, my arguments are weak (and apparently quite lacking in the legit-ness department). I'll leave it up as is for the moment, for many reasons (excuses).
Back to top Go down

Thoughts and Feelings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1